Study Goals and Objectives
GHX Study Goals:
- Identify extension alignment, station locations and service plan to improve overall Manassas Line service and attract new riders.
- Build consensus around an implementable and cost-effective solution.
- Help Norfolk Southern make an informed decision about joint use of corridor.
- Advance the VRE extension in coordination with I-66 and other planned regional and state improvements.
GHX Study Strategic Objectives:
- Develop consensus around the preferred alternative
- Identify track and right-of-way needs
- Accommodates current and future freight volumes
- Develop a viable funding plan for the project
- Achieve NEPA clearance
- Advance preliminary engineering design